Monte Carlo supports integrating with both Tableau Online and Tableau Server. Tableau Server requires version 2019.3 or later.
Admin credentials required
To complete this guide, you will need Tableau admin credentials.
To review all steps necessary to integrate a BI tool with Monte Carlo, please see here.
To connect Monte Carlo to Tableau, you must first create a Personal Access Token in Tableau. Once you have a Personal Access token, you can then add the integration in Monte Carlo.
To create a PAT:
- Go to "My Account Settings".
- Click on the "Users" tab, then in the settings pane you can make a Personal Access Token.
- Give your token a name and hit "Create new token". Make sure you copy the token secret because it will only be shown to you once.
If you are integrating with multiple sites, please use a separate PAT for each
In the "Settings" tab of your Monte Carlo workspace, please provide the following details to validate and complete the integration.
Pick the "Tableau" BI connection:
Provide the personal access token:
- Token Name and Token Value: Please provide the credentials that were created while making the token.
- Server Name and Site Name: To find out your server and site names, please visit your Tableau account in your browser, and check the URL in your browser’s address bar. For example:
If you do not have a site name or are on the default site, you can leave "Site Name" blank.
If you are in the onboarding wizard, click on "Tableau" and follow the same instructions as above:
Read more about BI integrations in Monte Carlo at Overview: BI
From a Table-Asset or an Incident page, with Reports Affected, you can set a Tableau Data Quality Warning on any Tableau Data Source.
It will show up in Tableau like this:
And then edit the warning afterwards
The warnings will automatically clean-up and expire approximately 24 hours after you set or edit them.
Updated 17 days ago
Modifying an existing Tableau connection? See: