Admin credentials required
To make the read only service user for Monte Carlo, you will need owner permissions on BigQuery.
This guide explains how to create a read-only service account for Monte Carlo on BigQuery.
To review all steps necessary to integrate a data warehouse with Monte Carlo, please see here.
First, create a role for Monte Carlo's service account:
- Under Access, go to the Roles section in your Google Cloud Platform console.
- Select the project to which your BigQuery warehouse belongs using the combo box on the top left of your dashboard.
- Click the Create Role button at the top of the tab.
- Give the new role a name. We recommend "Data Reliability Monitor".
- Change the Role launch stage to "General Availability".
- Click Add Permissions and add the permissions specified below to the role. To make the process faster, consider filtering the permission list by the role BigQuery Admin.
Now, create a service account:
- Under Identity, go to the Service Accounts section in your Google Cloud Platform console.
- Click the Create Service Account button at the top of the tab.
- Give the account a name and continue. We recommend naming the account "monte-carlo".
- Assign the role you previously created to the service account and continue.
- Click the Create Key button, select JSON as the type and click Create. A JSON file will download – please keep it safe as it grants access to your BigQuery data.
- Click Done to complete the creation of Monte Carlo's service account.
Finally, upload the JSON file you downloaded into Monte Carlo's onboarding wizard to finalize the integration.
bigquery.datasets.get bigquery.datasets.getIamPolicy bigquery.jobs.get bigquery.jobs.list bigquery.jobs.listAll bigquery.jobs.create bigquery.tables.get bigquery.tables.getData bigquery.tables.list storage.buckets.list storage.buckets.get storage.objects.list storage.objects.get resourcemanager.projects.get
Allowing Monte Carlo's service account to access multiple projects can help with the following use cases:
- Tracking multiple datasets spread across more than one BigQuery project.
- Tracking query logs and lineage generated by users associated with more than one project.
To add an additional project to Monte Carlo's service role:
- Select the project using the combo box on the top left of the Google Cloud Platform console.
- Create a role that grants BigQuery access with the appropriate permissions following the instructions above. Optionally, you may use the following command in your terminal to copy the role over from another project (this is much quicker!):
gcloud iam roles copy
- Under Access, go to the IAM section in your Google Cloud Platform console.
- Click the Add button, provide Monte Carlo's service account email address and click Save.
You may add any number of projects to Monte Carlo's service account.
Updated about 2 months ago