Admin credentials required
To make the read only service user for Monte Carlo, you will need admin credentials to your Redshift cluster.
This guide explains how to create a read-only service account for Monte Carlo on Redshift.
To review all steps necessary to integrate a data warehouse with Monte Carlo, please see here.
Please use the following SQL snippet to create a service account for Monte Carlo:
CREATE USER <username> PASSWORD ‘<password>’ SYSLOG ACCESS UNRESTRICTED GRANT SELECT ON svv_table_info to <username> GRANT SELECT ON ALL TABLES IN SCHEMA <schema_name> [, …] to <username> GRANT USAGE ON SCHEMA <schema_name> [, …] to <username> GRANT USAGE ON SCHEMA <external_schema> [, …] to <username> ALTER DEFAULT PRIVILEGES FOR USER <user_creating_tables> [, …] IN SCHEMA <schema_name> [, …] GRANT SELECT ON TABLES TO <username>
Before using the snippet, you will need to populate the following:
- <username>: Service account username, typically "monte_carlo".
- <password>: Strong password to be used by the service account user.
- <schema_name>: Redshift schema(s) to be monitored. Please note you can provide a list of schemas in a single statement.
- <external_schema>: Redshift Spectrum schema(s) – where external tables are defined – to be monitored. Please note you can provide a list of schemas in a single statement.
- <user_creating_tables>: Redshift user(s) that create/update tables and external tables, typically the user(s) used by your ETL jobs. Please note you can provide a list of such users in a single statement.
- syslog permissions allow Monte Carlo to to read query logs from all users.
- select permissions on svv_table_info allow Monte Carlo to to read metadata about tables in your warehouse.
- select and usage permissions on schemas allow Monte Carlo to track health for tables in the given schemas.
- usage permissions on external schemas allow Monte Carlo to to track health for external tables in the given schemas.
- Default privileges set for ETL users make sure that Monte Carlo maintains access to tables as ETL jobs run and update/create tables.
Updated 4 months ago